I got tagged by my friend Lisa to share 8 random facts about myself. I've heard of this *game* and wasn't sure it would ever come my way. In fact, I was hoping it wouldn't! I've put considerable thought into this for your reading pleasure. So here goes!
1. I was in the Coast Guard for 5 years. Yes. Me. I went to Boot Camp (which was modeled after the Marines Boot Camp) and graduated in the top of my company. I even got a "Super Boot" ribbon for it. (blush!) Boy was I motivated! I spent my first year in Rockland, Maine learning to be a boat crewman and basic seamanship, then went to Defense Information School in Ft. Meade, MD for training to be a public affairs specialist. Then I was stationed in Boston for the remaining four years. I did lots of stuff! Mostly being a liaison between the media and the Coast Guard for everyday rescues to major plane crashes and oil spills. Remember JFK Jr.'s plane crash? I was there. Egypt Air 990? I was there. 911 Ground Zero. I was there. Literally. in it. smelling the acrid twisted metal of the WTC towers after they fell to the ground. That was an experience that will stay with me forever. Anyway, if you want to see what Google pulled up on me, check this out. It's just some stuff - most newspaper archives must not go back that many years. I was amazed to find anything!
2. My celebrity list: George Clooney, Mark Wahlburg, Sebastion Junger, Wolfgang Peterson, President Clinton, President George H. Bush, President George W. Bush. These are all famous folk I have had the opportunity to meet when I was in the Coast Guard. A slew of them are from The Perfect Storm's press junket that took place in Gloucester, Mass. George Senior and I had the pleasure to shake hands aboard the US Coast Guard Cutter Eagle during OpSail Maine. I met President Clinton on Martha's Vineyard when he signed a bill into legislation and it took place at a lighthouse. I met GWB in Maine after 911 when he spoke words of appreciation to the Coast Guard for their work during 911.
3. All the places I have lived:
Willingboro, NJ until I was 10
Medford Lakes, NJ until I was 19
Cape May, NJ Coast Guard Boot Camp
Boston, Mass. Waterfront Base
Allston, Mass. My First Apartment
The North End, Boston
Ft. Meade, Maryland
Red Hill, PA - still here so far!
4. I took a driving course with the Massachusetts State Police for evasive driving. This is the same course they put the State Troopers through. When I was training in the Coast Guard I had to driving the Admiral around to events and they sent me to this to be able to *cope* with city driving in Boston. It was fun!
5. I hate Lima beans.
6. I haven't been out of the Eastern Time Zone. Well, maybe I was a little bit when I went to Indianapolis for my niece, Madeline's baptism. But we don't know for sure.
7. When I lived in Willingboro, my family's home was burglarized twice.
8. I used to smoke.
OK, the only other people I know who keep blogs who haven't been tagged are Bill - yes you, my brother. And Hayley. So you're it!